VFW Post 3838

Cape Girardeau, Missouri  (573) 334-4438 or (573) 334-2552 (fax)


Checking eligibility is comparatively simple. Assuming that a person is a United States citizen and has an honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces, it only remains to be proven that the person served outside the continental limits of the U.S. and has earned a campaign or service medal recognized by the VFW as meeting the campaign medal  requisite for VFW Membership. (The only exception is for service in Korea after June 30, 1949, until present.)

Discharges issued during and immediately after the close of World War II have a section on the back listing the medals  and decorations which have been earned. Persons discharged later received a DD-214, "Report of Separation" form, which has a space showing medals and decorations. Lost separation documents can be replaced by completing and submitting GSA Standard Form 180, "Request Pertaining to Military Records.

There is always a possibility of an omission on the separation documents. If an applicant claims entitlement to a medal which is not shown on the individual's separation papers, that person may request verification and correction of records by submitting a GSA Standard Form 180.

The GSA Standard Form 180 is available from any office of the Veterans Administration or state Veterans Departments.  The form must be completed and signed by the veteran in order to receive the information requested or authorize the  release of the information to the Veterans of Foreign Wars.


VFW eligibility listing chart is used as a guide in determining eligibility for membership, and is furnished as a matter of information concerning the periods during which campaign and/or service medals were authorized.

Campaign medals, and the periods for which issued, have been authorized by the United States of America, and the holder of any such medal or medals is recognized as possessing the campaign medal requisite of eligibility. Or stop in at our location to pick up an application to join the Cape Girardeau VFW!

Life Membership Card
Never pay Dues Again!
Get Yours Today!


Periods of VFW membership eligibility for overseas service are listed below.


(Periods prior to World War I are not listed)

WWI Victory Ribbon

World War I Victory Army:  06 April 1917 - 01 Apr 1920 (with Battle/Service clasp Navy) 06 April 1917 - 30 Mar 1920 (including Siberia and European Russia)

Army Occupation of Germany Army:  12 Nov 1918 - 11 July 1923

Second Nicaraguan Campaign Navy:  27 Aug 1926 - 02 Jan 1933

Yangtze Service Navy:  03 Sep 1926-21 - Oct 1927;  01 Mar 1930 - 31 Dec 1932

China Service Navy:  07 July 1937 - 07 Sep 1939;  02 Sep 1945 - 01 April 1957

American Defense Ribbon

American Defense Service Army-Navy:  08 Sep 1939 - 07 Dec 1941 (with foreign service clasp)

American Campaign Ribbon

American Campaign Army-Navy:  07 Dec 1941 - 02 Mar 1946 (30 consecutive days or 60 days non-consecutive duty outside continental limits of United States)

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Army-Navy:  07 Dec 1941 - 02 Mar 1946

European Campaign Ribbon

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Army-Navy:  07 Dec 1941 - 08 Nov 1945

Occupation Ribbon

Army of Occupation Italy:  09 May 1945 - 15 Sep 1947 (30 consecutive days)

Occupation of Germany (except West Berlin):  08 May 1945 - 05 May 1955

Occupation of Germany (West Berlin):  09 May 1945 - 02 Oct 1990

Austria:  09 May 1945 - 27 July 1955

Korea:  03 Sep 1945 - 29 June 1949

Japan:  03 Sep 1945 - 27 April 1952

Navy Occupation Service Medal

Italy:  08 May 1945 - 15 Dec 1947

Trieste:  08 May 1945 - 26 Oct 1954 

Asiatic Pacific:  02 Sep 1945 - 27 April 1952
(Germany & Austria as noted above)

Korea Service Ribbon

Korean Service Medal

Kosovo Campaign Medal
Service in Kosovo (dates not determined)

Iraq Campaign Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal,  October 2001 - Present

Combat Action Ribbon (various periods of service)
(Navy, Marine Corps) 

Holders of the following badges...

If you desire information on joining VFW Post 3838, please send an E-mail message by clicking the button below with the following information:

By sending an E-MAIL message, I certify that I am a citizen of the United States, that my U.S. Military Service was honorable, that I have never been subsequently discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States of America under other than honorable conditions, and that I believe in God. I also certify that --

(1) I am entitled to a campaign ribbon or medal authorized by the U.S. Government based on my overseas service or;

(2) I have served overseas in Korea for 30 consecutive days or 60 non-consecutive days (1949 - present).

I further give authority to the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States to verify my entitlement to membership. A member of VFW Post 3838 will contact me by e-mail, phone or letter to obtain the other required information and directions for membership.  Contact Post 3838.


VFW Post 3838 Index Page

©2009-2014  VFW Post 3838  All Rights Reserved